Get Adobe Reader

Douglas County Video Tour

WIC Questions

What paperwork or documentation do I need to bring to my certification appointment at the WIC office?

All applicants apply for WIC must show proof of identity, residency and income. Common examples of things that can be used as proof are listed below. If you have any questions regarding the required proofs needed to complete your appointment please call the Administrative Office at 402-444-1770.

Proof of Identity Examples:

Birth Certificate

Valid Photo ID (driver’s license, passport, school ID)

Social Security Card

WIC Enrollment Card

Proof of Residency Examples:

Mail that has been postmarked within the last 30 days

Lease agreement

Online utility bill showing service address

Proof of Income Examples:

Medicaid Card


Notice of Action

Paystubs (one month worth)

The main clinics are located:

Midtown WIC - 1941 South 42nd Street #225

Douglas County WIC - 735 North 120th Street

Charles Drew Health Center WIC - 2915 Grant Street

OneWorld Community Health Center WIC - 4920 South 30th Street #103

Who is eligible for the WIC program?

Pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 are eligible. They must meet income guidelines, live in the state of Nebraska, and be individually determined to be at "nutritional risk" by a health professional.

To be eligible on the basis of income, applicants' gross income (i.e. before taxes are withheld) must fall at or below 185 percent of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. Individuals who receive Aid to Dependent Children (ADC), Food Stamps and/or Medicaid are automatically adjunct income eligible to receive WIC.


Income Eligibility Guidelines

(effective 07/01/17 - 06/30/18)

  Annually Monthly Weekly
Family of 1 $22,311 $1,860 $430
Family of 2 30,044 2,504 578
Family of 3 37,777 3,149 727
Family of 4 45,510 3,793 876
Family of 5 53,243 4,437 1,024
Family of 6 60,976 5,082 1,173
Family of 7 68,709 5,726 1,322
Family of 8 76,442 6,371 1,471
For each add'l family member, add + $7,733 + $645 + $149

What is "nutritional risk"?

Two major types of nutritional risk are recognized for WIC eligibility:

  •  Medically-based risks (designated as "high priority") such as anemia, underweight, maternal age, history of pregnancy complications, or poor pregnancy outcomes.
  •  Diet-based risks such as inadequate dietary pattern.
  • Nutritional risk is determined by a health professional such as a physician, nutritionist, or nurse, and is based on Federal guidelines. This health screening is free to program applicants.

What food benefits to WIC participants receive?

Nebraska WIC participants receive vouchers to purchase specific foods each month that are designed to supplement their diets with specific nutrients that benefit WIC’s target population. WIC foods include infant cereal, iron-fortified adult cereal, vitamin C-rich fruit or vegetable juice, eggs, milk, cheese, peanut butter, dried and canned beans/peas, and canned fish. Soy-based beverages, tofu, fruits and vegetables, baby foods, whole-wheat bread, and other whole-grain options were recently added to better meet the nutritional needs of WIC participants.

WIC recognizes and promotes breastfeeding as the optimal source of nutrition for infants. For women who do not fully breastfeed, WIC provides iron-fortified infant formula. Special infant formulas and medical foods may be provided when prescribed by a physician for a specified medical condition.

Where can I use my WIC vouchers?

Food vouchers may be used at any NE WIC approved Grocery store. Medical and special formula vouchers may be used at any NE WIC approved pharmacy.

STD Clinic Questions

 1. What services does your STD Clinic provide?

     We provide:

  • Testing/treatment for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia
  • Testing/referral for HIV: for information on walk-in HIV testing only, please call 402-444-7750
  • Testing for trichomonos (Females Only)

       Walk-ins are welcome. Payment is on a sliding fee scale?
       Monday: 10:30 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.
       Tuesday: 12:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
       Wednesday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
       Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
       Clinic is on the main floor, 1111 South 41st Street
       Call: 402-444-7112

Free screening/treatment for those who are 24 years of age and younger.

$15.00 for those who are 25 years and older

Do you have my immunization records?

No. The best place to locate those records is through your regular health care provider.

Do we give immunizations?

Immunization services are available to individuals 18 years old and younger who are uninsured, underinsured, Medicaid eligible, or are Native American or Alaska Native. Those 19 years of age and older may qualify for adult vaccines if they are uninsured or underinsured. Call 402-444-6163 for more information.

Where do I go to get SNAP or food stamps?

Call Access Nebraska for Economic Assistance

Toll Free: (800) 383-4278
Lincoln: (402) 323-3900
Omaha: (402) 595-1258

With Food and Drink:

  1. What are the codes for sanitary conditions (What do food prep people have to wear (gloves, hairnets, etc), how to clean a business when someone has become very sick from there (bleach, etc), food code)
  2. How to tell if someone's really gotten food poisoning from an establishment (how long it usually takes for a person’s digestive system to react) - We've had people who are unhappy with a restaurant’s service and call in complaints about 'food poisoning' when it really wasn't)
  3. How to file a complaint or where.
  4. What type of establishments we inspect and license? (Grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, bars, daycares, retirement homes, etc - I don't know about all of these but we get calls about them)

What do I do if I think I have bed bugs? 
The bed bug is considered a nuisance pest which means there is no substantial evidence of disease transmission to humans through bites. If you think you have an insect infestation, the Health Department can look into it and confirm the nature of the problem. The Health Department does not provide an extermination service, and you will need to contact your landlord if you rent or a private pest exterminator to address the situation as a homeowner.

What does the Health Department do about rodents?
The Health Department will investigate indoor and outdoor mice/rat infestation complaints. Investigators look for points of entry and provide education on controlling the population along with communicating with property landlords on a necessary pest management plan solution to the issue.  Call (402) 444-7481 for more information.

What should I do if I think I have a mold problem? 
The Health Department does not perform mold testing.  Seek out an environmental testing company to test suspected mold.  The Health Department can provide information on mold with techniques for removal and how to handle landlord mold related issues. Call 402-444-7496.

For more information on mold:

Does the Health Department provide Well Water Testing?
DCHD no longer does that. You can contact the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services at 402-471-3121 or seek testing from a local lab.

What should I do if I have a bat in my home?
If you have a bat in your home, try to keep it from escaping and call the Nebraska Humane Society at (402) 444- 7800, Ext. 1. If you have concerns about a possible exposure, call your health care provider.

For more information on rabies:

Get Adobe Reader

Douglas County Video Tour